After complaining for the past 5 years about thyroxine making me ill I’ve finally found one that doesn’t!
I’ve been on thyroxine since I was about 15 years old, which is relatively young to be suffering from such a condition. In my case it’s hereditary, but flipped. The other members in my family that are troubled with it all had over active thyroids and somewhere down the line had a thyroidectomy.
I’m underactive, although you may not know it by just looking at me. For one I am not a ten tonne tessy and secondly I don’t have hair growing out my chin! RESULT! The thing I never quite understood was, my auntie Mhairi got her thyroid removed so as a result will be on thyroxine everyday until she dies now and she’s on a dose of 100mg/daily. I on the other hand have a thyroid gland that just forgets to make thyroxine, but still produces a little of its own, yet I have to take 175mg daily... makes no sense to me!
With me it’s the T4 hormone that’s defective. Normal levels are between 1 and 4 (whatever the unit is). Now here’s the messed up part that I don’t understand... between 1 and 4 units is normal, anything OVER four is UNDERACTIVE? Lol welllll my last blood test was around 3 weeks ago and my results came back at 96.2 yes I got a very big lecture off my GP for it, and no I was not taking my medication properly and my usual answer “I’ve told you plenty of times before it makes me throw up for at least 4 hours after taking it”. A comment my doctor has rubbished many times before.
Turns out it’s a valid point now. I went today to pick up my new prescription and asked my usual “If you have any of the APS brand can I have them? I find them much easier on my stomach that Unichem or AAH”. To which I was told that they brought out a new brand that should most definitely not make me ill. Sceptical, I reluctantly agreed to give it a bash.
Came home had a brew and took my pills... not one pang of nausea, no sicky sweats and I didn’t see my tea twice. Not only that... 10 hours later and still no sickness!! I am a very happy little bunny indeed!
In theory I should no longer have any off the chart readings, or whinges from Dr Dread and soon as my levels are back within the normal range I can kiss goodbye to 4 weekly blood tests and go back to my 2 a year... bring it on!!
No comments:
Post a Comment