Wednesday, 11 November 2009

We will remember them!

God bless all those brave men and women overseas, all we can hope and pray for is safety and a speedy return.

It’s all too easy to let life get to us, to think we’re the worst off person in the entire world. Yet, I bet anyone of those brave souls would love to be able to be at home arguing petty little things with their family, or fighting over who makes the next brew. We owe them so much because without them we wouldn’t have such luxuries as freedom of speech or any form of freedom for that matter.

So what makes me really bloody sick is the response that was given to the minutes silence at a certain football match this weekend. Sky had to alter the sound as they had to last year and the year previous to that, cause scummy celtic supporters could not keep their mouths shut for two minutes, instead they boo’d, hissed and sang certain songs! Forgetting all too quickly exactly what these men and women not just now but throughout world war one and two have done so that they can attend their football games. They should be shot, but personally I think that is too good for them. Scum!

Has society forgotten what this day means? What it stands for and the respect that should be held this day? Between the celtic fans and the drunken student urinating on the memorial statue, I really do wonder! I urge you all to remember our lads and lassies out on tour in Afghan, keep them and their families in your prayers and help our heros, donate, buy something or better still get off your tooshies and go raise some money! In doing this, remember just how blessed you are to be able to get out and about and do what you want, to speak to and see your loved ones whenever it suits you, to not live your life in constant fear!

I think we should all be called up, but perhaps I listen to my father too much. I genuinely do though, who says we should all just sit back and let those few brave enough to step up go out their and stare death in the face while we sit here pretending to understand just how much they are giving? I saw it first hand when I was doing my phelbotomy training over at the Southern General in Govan, I did my second week in the PDRU (Physical Disability Rehabilitation Unit) which by the way is a wonderful service. In the unit there were two soldiers at the time, one lad in his mid twenties and another who was 19. The youngest lad felt he was the lucky one, I couldn't believe it, he had lost a leg and his right hand, and genuinely believed he was lucky. The older soldier (bearing in mind he was no older than I am now) lost both legs, his right arm up to his shoulder and his left up to his elbow. Neither of these brave souls were bitter about it, yes I'm sure there were very emotional days where they felt desperate and angry, but on the whole they said given half the chance they would do it all over again. I couldn't get my head around it!

With Mark wanting to go back to the army after we marry I am seriously considering going to do my training in the army, university didn't quite do anything for me and lets be honest, we should all be protecting queen and country! However, I did get knocked back on medical grounds the last time I applied, but I've not had an asthma attack since I was 19, so I might just chance my luck again!

In the meantime is anyone up for a skydive? Bungee jump? How about just a run or jog? I'm being serious, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment